Review : Sealed With a Curse by Cecy Robson

Summary (from Goodreads)

Title : Sealed with a Curse (Weird Girls #1)
Author : Cecy Robson
Publication Date : December 31st 2012
Publisher : Signet Eclipse
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble


Celia Wird and her three sisters are just like other twenty-something girls—with one tiny exception: They're the products of a curse that backfired and gave each of them unique powers that make them, well, a little weird…

The Wird sisters are content to avoid the local vampires, werebeasts, and witches of the Lake Tahoe region—until one of them blows up a vampire in self-defense. Everyone knows vampires aren't aggressive, and killing one is punishable by death. But soon more bloodlust-fueled attacks occur, and the community wonders if the vampires of Tahoe are plague-ridden.

Celia reluctantly agrees to help Misha, the handsome leader of an infected vampire family. But Aric, the head of the werewolf pack determined to destroy Misha's family to keep the area safe, warns Celia to stay out of the fight. Caught between two hot alphas, Celia must find a way to please everyone, save everyone, and—oh, yeah—not lose her heart to the wrong guy or die a miserable death. Because now that the evil behind the plague knows who Celia is, he's coming for her and her sisters.

This Wird girl has never had it so tough.


Personal Thoughts

Sealed With a Curse came highly recommended from two of my favorite bloggers, Kim at The Caffeinated Book Reviewer and Heidi at Rainy Day Ramblings. I don't read many urban fantasy novels, but I've had a lot of good luck with them. I went into Sealed With a Curse expecting to love it and love it I did!

The characters in Sealed With a Curse formed a fabulous cast. These were characters that I automatically loved because of their personality traits. The Wird sisters are so different from each other, but the love that exists between these girls was discernible throughout the book. They were constantly there for each other and I adored their interactions together. I love when books focus on sibling relationships in a realistic manner, which is why I reckon I adored this book so much. The main character in Sealed With a Curse was Celia, a spunky main character who was clearly the embodiment of kick-ass. Celia was the oldest sister and she was protective of her younger sisters, willing to do anything to shield them from any kind of danger. I loved this guarding nature of hers because it reminded me of myself when it comes to my younger sister. Celia was such a fun, snarky character who made me laugh out loud several times while I was reading. What I loved most about her though was her willingness to help people. It showed what a big heart she had. Although it might seem like Celia is too perfect, she wasn't. She had insecurities when it came to dating. She was the least attractive (at least according to her), among the sister and she never really had much male attention on her. So, when vampire lord, Misha and pure-blood werewolf pack leader, Aric, both bestow their affections on her, she was left confused and clueless on how to act. Watching her deal with her feelings was quite the entertainment! Talking about the love interests, Aric was ... holy swoon! The werewolf left me all hot and bothered with his sexy and protective attitude. Plus, he was such a gentleman, making him all the more attractive. My only complaint when it comes to the characters was I wish that some of the secondary characters had been a little more fleshed-out, but since this is a series, I do feel like they will be further explored in the next installments.

Sealed With a Curse was action-packed from start to finish, resulting in there never being a sluggish moment while reading the book. The plot line, while predictable, was fun and entertaining. I also loved the unique and quirky world Cecy Robson has concocted. There were all sorts of paranormal creatures from vampires to wereraccoons! Celia and her sisters themselves were cursed with abilities. For instance, Celia who can shapeshift into a tiger and if she touches an animal of some sort, she shapeshifts into the animal. What made Sealed With a Curse an entertaining read was the humor peppered throughout the book. There were so many times I guffawed and snorted unattractively because I was trying hard not to laugh too loudly. (For those of you who've read the book, the scene with Celia turning into a chicken?) Plus, it wasn't the kind of humor that was contrived. The romance too was wonderful. While there was a trace that there might be a love triangle, I really wouldn't label it as such. From the start, Celia was attracted in more than a physical sense to only Aric and that's who she wanted to be with, so I really didn't fret too much that Misha was also vying for her affections along with Aric. Celia and Aric were a sizzling couple who gave me butterflies even when they were just conversing. Both of them were instantly attracted to each other, but the romance itself took its sweet time to develop. Cecy Robson has obtained a fan in me with Sealed With a Curse. While the book didn't end in a frustrating cliffhanger, I was still left wanting more. Thankfully, I already have the sequel, and I don't have to wait too long.

Fun characters, an entertaining plot line and laugh-out-loud humor, made Cecy Robson's Sealed With a Curse a strong start to a series that's bound to get better by the books. Fans of Urban Fantasy books will find a gem in this series!

Rating
Cover : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)