Review : Stealing Parker by Miranda Kenneally

Summary (from Goodreads)

Title : Stealing Parker
Author : Miranda Kenneally
Publisher : Sourcebooks Fire
Publication Date : October 1st 2012
Goodreads - The Book Depository

Parker Shelton pretty much has the perfect life. She’s on her way to becoming valedictorian at Hundred Oaks High, she’s made the all-star softball team, and she has plenty of friends. Then her mother’s scandal rocks their small town and suddenly no one will talk to her.

Now Parker wants a new life.

So she quits softball. Drops twenty pounds. And she figures why kiss one guy when she can kiss three? Or four. Why limit herself to high school boys when the majorly cute new baseball coach seems especially flirty?

But how far is too far before she loses herself completely?


 

Personal Thoughts

Ever since I read Anna and the French Kiss, I've been looking for books with a similar voice. After months of searching, I finally stumbled upon Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally. Not only was the romance portrayed in a cute and very realistic manner, it was also highly entertaining. So, you can imagine my happiness when I came to know that there were going to be many more books revolving around the same world as Catching Jordan.

The characters in Stealing Parker are the kinds that really shine. They are relateable and completely realistic. You find yourself being among them, making the story even more engaging. I will admit that I wasn't very much fond of Parker at first sight, but seeing her character emotionally mature made me appreciate her character even more. Also, there were instances where I found her attraction towards Brian to be a little too obsessive, especially when she would stalk the guy. I also found her attitude towards her lesbian mother a little infuriating, but I did understand where she was coming from. Parker is a character who really grew throughout the book, learning from her mistakes. She was the sort of person who knew how to acknowledge her mistake when she would make one. Despite her making numerous poor choices throughout the book, she really grew on me. The fact that she wasn't initially a perfect character was what made her likable at the end of the story. As far as Brian goes, I'm not sure that I ever liked him. He was definitely very charming and flirtatious, but there was something off about him since the very start of the book. The secondary characters of the book were the ones that I truly enjoyed. They were all such a funny bunch. There were times when I really wanted to be part of their group. Those of you who adored Sam Henry in the first book, be prepared to love him even more in Stealing Parker. He could be totally hilarious and serious at the same time that I couldn't help but enjoy his presence in the book. Out of all the characters, Corndog, was definitely my favorite. He was such a sweet and delightful guy! Watch out contemporary lovers, he will sweep you off your feet! Miranda Kenneally's ability to portray her characters in such a beautiful way is what I love most about her books!

While Stealing Parker might at the core be a love story, it wasn't purely romantic. It tackled different themes involving society in a thoughtful way. From homosexuality to religion, Miranda Kenneally touched these subjects in such a way that it didn't seem like she was shoving her opinions into your face. Although I tend to stay away from books with religious undertones, I was very much comfortable with the religion in Stealing Parker. The romance in the book was definitely swoon-worthy. It was the kind of romance that gives you butterflies in the tummy and has you sighing at its adorableness! I really adored how the love interest would constantly be there for Parker although she wouldn't see it. Plus, he wasn't the kind of guy who was afraid to tell Parker that she screwed up. I really liked that honest trait in him. The writing was as usual perfect, in my opinion. Highly engaging and extremely entertaining, Miranda Kenneally's writing never ceased to amaze me. She is definitely a Queen of YA Contemporary Romances with her ability to write such cute books.

All in all, I adored Stealing Parker. Stealing Parker is a book I highly recommend because I promise that you will not be disappointed! Fans of Catching Jordan will definitely have fun with this companion novel! If you're looking for a cute contemporary that also tackles serious issues, then I definitely suggest you read Stealing Parker. You guys can't imagine how excited I am for the release of Things I Can't Forget!

Rating

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 4/5
Writing : 4/5





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)