Review : Dirty Talk by Megan Erickson

Summary (from Goodreads)  

Title : Dirty Talk (Mechanics of Love #2)
Author : Megan Erickson

Publication Date : September 15th 2015
Publisher : Avon Impulse
Goodreads - Amazon - Barnes & Noble

When the one you shouldn't want is the one you can't resist...

Brent Payton works hard, plays hard, and has earned his ladies’ man reputation. But he’s more than just a good time, even though no one seems to see it. Until a gorgeous brunette with knockout curves and big, thoughtful eyes walks into his family’s garage and makes Brent want more.

Ivy Dawn and her sister are done with men, all of them. They’ve uprooted their lives too many times on account of the opposite sex, but that’s over now. The plan seems easy until a sexy, dirty-taking mechanic bursts in Ivy’s life and shakes everything up.

Brent can’t resist the one person who sees past his devil-may-care façade, and Ivy finds it harder and harder to deny how happy he makes her. But she has secrets of her own and when the truth comes out, she must decide if she’ll run again or if she’ll take a chance on forever.


Personal Thoughts

If there's one author whose works I just can't get enough of, that would be Megan Erickson. Every book of hers I read, leaves me hoping that her books never end. Getting lost within the pages of a romance novel by her is like breathing for me at this point. Dirty Talk had some pretty big shoes to fill after I fell in love with the previous book, Dirty Thoughts, but I had nothing to worry about because Dirty Talk was just as romantic, swoony and enjoyable as the previous book.

If there's one thing that Megan Erickson is a star at, that would be writing romances that melt readers into a puddle of goo and at the same time leave you fanning yourself because of how crazy hot the chemistry is. The couple in Dirty Talk was no exception. Brent, the hero of the book, wasn't the same gruff man that his brother, Cal, was in Dirty Thoughts. He was more on the charming, flirtatious side, with a dose of vulnerability that made his character pop out of the pages for me. Being the middle child in the Payton family wasn't the easiest for Brent. He always felt like he needed to live up to his older and younger brother. Brent, however, never resented his brothers. I love how this series seems to focus so much on family relationships. These boys were clearly very close to one another, willing to take bullets for each other, and their loyalty and love for each other was endearing. For them, Brent especially, family was important and their actions throughout the series has more than proved that.

Besides working as mechanic at his family's auto-shop, Brent had other aspirations, and together with a new friend that he made in Dirty Talk, he came to the realization how important it was for him to take steps to reach those goals. I couldn't have been any prouder of this boy! Speaking of the new friend, I loved Davis' and Brent's bromance together, fueled by Brent's dog, Honeybear (YES! His name was Honeybear!). They were a riot together, pulling each other's legs and the same time, providing support when they needed each other. I don't know if Megan Erickson currently has plans to write his book, but I'm sincerely hoping that we get to read his happily-ever-after as well.

Megan Erickson also has the uncanny ability to write female protagonists that you not only cheer for, but also admire. Ivy in Dirty Talk was so wonderful. A single mother, she and her sister were running away from a dangerous man. I loved how loving Ivy was whether it came to her daughter, Violet, who was precious by the way or Alex, her sister who was battling with the aftermaths of emotional abuse. I couldn't help but admire how headstrong and resilient she was, and how she was willing to go to lengths to keep Alex and Violet happy. I was so happy that she found a companion in Brent because he was the perfect match for her.

Together, they had so much chemistry, but what stood out to me was how much heart there was to their relationship. This was a couple that were emotionally tied together and this was very much palpable throughout Dirty Talk. They talked, were supportive of each other and truly cared for one another. Basically, I want every romance couple to be like them! Their burgeoning romance was wonderful to read about, especially because it remained drama and angst-free, and they were a couple who I couldn't wait to see in a relationship from their very first flirty banter. I can't talk about Ivy and Brent's sweet romance without mentioning how hot they were as a couple. Phew! Megan Erickson sure does know how to steam up the pages with their flaming chemistry.

I also want to quickly mention how much I adored Brent's relationship with Ivy's daughter, Violet. Violet had seen things that a young child never should have to see and was terrified of men, and watching her slowly open up to Brent was sweet. He was patient with her and he clearly loved the little girl as his own. My heart would burst with happiness whenever he interacted with her and I couldn't get over how adorable their relationship was. Truth be told, I would have still read and loved the heck out of this book if it had been only about Brent and Violet. That's how much I loved this duo.

Romance fans, if you haven't read fallen in love with Megan Erickson's books, please do yourself a favor and change that as soon as possible. This is an author who, I promise you, will leave you in a bubble of happiness once you're done reading her books. I've loved every book that she has written, but I think the Mechanics of Love series is my absolute favorite. Dirty Talk just solidified my love for the series and now I'm impatiently looking forward to reading the next book, featuring Alex and a sexy Brit in Dirty Deeds.

Rating

Cover : 4/5
Plot : 4/5
Characters : 5/5
Writing : 5/5

**Overall Rating : 4.5/5**


Thank you to Edelweiss and Avon Impulse for the e-ARC of Dirty Talk.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)