Mini Reviews : The End Games by T. Michael Martin & Reboot by Amy Tintera

Summary (from Goodreads)

Title : The End Games
Author : T.Michael Martin
Publication Date : May 7th 2013
Publisher : Harper Teen
Goodreads - The Book Depository


It happened on Halloween.

The world ended.

And a dangerous Game brought it back to life.

Seventeen-year-old Michael and his five-year-old brother, Patrick, have been battling monsters in The Game for weeks.

In the rural mountains of West Virginia, armed with only their rifle and their love for each other, the brothers follow Instructions from the mysterious Game Master. They spend their days searching for survivors, their nights fighting endless hordes of “Bellows”—creatures that roam the dark, roaring for flesh. And at this Game, Michael and Patrick are very good.

But The Game is changing.

The Bellows are evolving.

The Game Master is leading Michael and Patrick to other survivors—survivors who don’t play by the rules.

And the brothers will never be the same.


Personal Thoughts


The End Games, with it's intriguing cover, seemed to promise an exciting story about two brothers in a post-apocalyptic world. As much as I wanted to enjoy this book, the writing made it incredibly hard for me to follow the story-line that I ended up having to DNF it.

The book started off with a bang and immediately captured my attention, but that was about the only memorable parts of the book. Soon after a major plot (and strange) plot twist was revealed, the book went downhill for me. Not only was it hard to follow what was going on, but what could have been an enthralling read turned into "yet another dystopian that follows the same path as the others". My main problem with this book was not the plot itself, but it was the writing. The author's writing style simply did not work for me, but I will admit that it's due to personal preferences and not because his writing is bad or anything. Also, the book is written in third person, which made it even harder for me to connect with the characters on an emotional level. The one thing I really liked about this book was the two brothers' deep bond. The two of them depend on each other and care for each other so much that they are willing to do anything.  I would have loved to read more about their relationship, but unfortunately I simply did not have the energy to continuing reading it.

Despite the issues I had with this book, you might enjoy it because a few of my trusted blogger friends liked it. Do check out some other reviews before deciding whether you want to read it or not.

Rating


DNF

Summary (from Goodreads)

Title : Reboot (Reboot #1)
Author : Amy Tintera

Publication Date : May 7th 2013
Publisher : Harper Teen
Goodreads - The Book Depository


Five years ago, Wren Connolly was shot three times in the chest. After 178 minutes she came back as a Reboot: stronger, faster, able to heal, and less emotional. The longer Reboots are dead, the less human they are when they return. Wren 178 is the deadliest Reboot in the Republic of Texas. Now seventeen years old, she serves as a soldier for HARC (Human Advancement and Repopulation Corporation).

Wren’s favorite part of the job is training new Reboots, but her latest newbie is the worst she’s ever seen. As a 22, Callum Reyes is practically human. His reflexes are too slow, he’s always asking questions, and his ever-present smile is freaking her out. Yet there’s something about him she can’t ignore. When Callum refuses to follow an order, Wren is given one last chance to get him in line—or she’ll have to eliminate him. Wren has never disobeyed before and knows if she does, she’ll be eliminated, too. But she has also never felt as alive as she does around Callum.

The perfect soldier is done taking orders.



Personal Thoughts


Reboot by Amy Tintera was another book that started off with a promising plot line but that I ended up not really hating it, but not really loving it either. That is, I had pretty much mixed feelings about the book and I'm not exactly sure why.

Wren, the main character was a tough girl who had build up barriers all around herself not letting anyone into her vicinity. I found it hard to form an emotional connection of any sort with her because she had this gloomy, broody cloud around her, that blocked her emotions from reaching me. I never truly figured out who she really was throughout the book. Callum, though, was an absolute delight. While the reader does not get much insight into his character either, his presence brought light into a scene. His flirty, casual nature was a huge contrast to Wren's personality. Plot-wise, there is no doubt that Reboot is interesting and I especially liked the idea of the Reboots, these zombie-like creatures. Unfortunately, I felt like the romance prevented the true potential of the plot and the world building from shining through. Wren and Callum's relationship moved a little too fast for my liking, preventing me from fully enjoying it.

Apart from that, I don't really have much to say about this book. It was definitely not a terrible book, but is it something that I would want to read all over again? No.

Rating

Cover : 3/5
Plot : 3/5
Characters : 3/5
Writing : 3/5


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox (3)

In My Mailbox (10)